Monday, October 3, 2011

18 months


18 month statistics:
weight: 23.2 pounds [15th percentile]
height:32.75 inches [50th percentile]
head circumference: 18.75 inches [80th percentile]

One and a half! Really?! How is my baby growing up so fast?!

Andi's vocabulary continues to expand. She is putting more and more words into sentences and saying phrases instead of just one word at a time. It is so neat to hear her speak so clearly and describe what she sees or wants. She narrates as she does things, and is telling exactly what she wants and how and when she wants it. :) She has also become very aware of possessions. Andi's toys, shoes, etc. Pearl's bone, food, etc. She will often say to Pearl, "No, Pearl! That is Andi's (fill in the blank) (usually shoe, tractor, car, cup). Andi will tell Pearl to "Watch out, Pearl Pearl!" especially when we are swinging on her playground in the backyard. Andi loves to pretend. Her pretend play most often involves pretend eating and she fixes food for Pearl (or Mommy) or her baby to try. Sounds like Pearl is her best friend...and I think she is. Andi loves that dog and Pearl loves her. Pearl is so good when Andi is hugging, kissing, trying to hold her, and even when she practically smothering her. Pearl will just lay there (most of the time). A dog that will absolutely let Andi get away with anything is Uncle Shawn's dog, Maverick (who lives at Nana and Papa's house). Andi will climb up on Maverick's back as if the ride him and she will say, "Giddy up, Maverick." So cute! Her vocabulary is incredible. I wonder how she knows so many words and phrases. She really amazes me each day; no longer with a a new word but now a new sentence or phrase. I am in awe at how smart she is. Really! Pretty neat when Andi says, "Mommy, I see something." or Shhhh, I hear something." One of Andi's cutest things is when something is cold, she will say, "That's cold! Burrrrr!" Another cute phrase is "Where is (blank). Hmmmm... I don't know.” (or "Look, Mommy. I found it!" or "There it is.") But the absolute most precious phase Andi says is, "I love you!" I melt when she says, "I love you, Mommy!" "I love you, Daddy!" And she is sure not leave Pearl out. "I love you, Pearl Pearl." Andi can now consistently count one through ten. She can count all the way to sixteen (that's how many steps we take to get upstairs at home). Andi loves to sing. Her favorite song right now is Itsy Bitsy Spider. She can also sing, Baa, Baa Black Sheep, Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, Pat-a-Cake, Rock-a-Bye Baby. Andi continues to love reading her books. She now knows the titles of many more of her books, seems like all of them! Her new favorites, Baby Beluga, My New School, and Elmo's Bedtime Stories.

Andi loves her sandbox on her new playground (in our backyard). At first she didn't know what to think. (Andi does NOT like her hands to be dirty.). She would touch the sand and say, "something happened" and reach out her hands for me to brush them off. But once we got in the sandbox together and played with the shovel and bucket, she was hooked. Her favorite activities outside are swings, sandbox, playhouse, car, sidewalk chalk (in that order). This girl could stay outside all day! Nothing makes her happier than being outdoors (well except maybe snuggling with her Mommy). She always wants to know where her shoes are. Why? You ask. Because she loves being outside and shoes on your feet mean you can go outside. She often times will bring me "Mommy's shoes" and say "Put it on." So we can go outside together. Precious girl! (I would love to let her play in the backyard solo but she can climb the ladder to the fort but cannot get back down. She doesn't like the big slide yet...so she will climb up and then say "Andi down, Mommy help!" So glad she will ask Mommy to help her get down.)

Andi is still sleeping in her crib. She likes to have a pacifier or two and any stuffed animal and blanket in bed with her. (We are seriously contemplating saying bye-bye to pacifier but we have learned that WE are not ready for that yet.) We started putting a pillow in her crib this week because she has been very congested with allergies.

Andi is doing much better about drinking milk. Thank goodness because we now have said farewell to the bottle. Yes, you read that correctly, no more bottles. Doctor Burton said we really should be working to get her off the bottle (and pacifier—but we have learned that we can only tackle one obstacle at a time!). Not sure who is more upset about it: Mommy, Nana, or Andi. It has been hard on all of us! I wanted to give in a few nights ago when she wouldn't sleep due to a new tooth emerging, but I didn't (although I think it would have been very soothing and helped all of us get some sleep if she would have had a warm, comforting bottle). The funny thing about giving up the bottle is that Andi has been referring to herself a lot as “baby.” She will say, “Baby loves Mommy,” “Baby loves cereal,” “Baby Andi,” etc. She is a smart little girl. I think she has really associated us calling her a big girl with no longer getting a bottle and knows that babies drink bottles. Maybe she thinks that if she calls herself baby enough, she will get a bottle. J Funny girl. Makes me sad because she is still a baby and will always be My Baby!
Andi still LOVES cereal. No complaints here; it helps her get her milk requirements, plus I love cereal too and can eat it anytime of day. Andi girl would eat cereal for every meal if I allowed it.

Andi continues to be a good sleeper, sleeping through the night. (Unless she is getting a new tooth. She will burst out crying in her sleep and moan with her eyes closed. Or she will wake up crying out, "Mommy! Hold you!" So of course I go upstairs and hold her, rock her, or bring her to our bed to snuggle.) Lately it seems like she has wanted me to hold her and rock her more, must be the no bottle thing. Andi has been waking up or being woken up each morning around 6:30-6:45 Her bedtime is around 8:30 pm. Andi still takes two naps a day, most days. Might be going to one nap a day soon.

Andi wears size 18 months shirts and onesies and 12 or 18 months dresses, shirts, and shorts. Size 5 shoes. She is in a size 3 diaper. Overnight diapers for bedtime (although might not be necessary since no more bottles at bedtime). Oh, and I bought Andi her very own potty. We haven't tried using it yet, but maybe soon!

Andi now has 12 teeth and I think we are working on getting two more (poor, sweet baby!)

Andi loves “Bible Class.". We went this past Wednesday night and she went to the big kid class with two and three year olds and did great. The teacher told me she was excellent and sat in her chair and listened to the story. She said we need to bring her every week. Hearing things like that makes Momma so proud. :)

We love our beautiful Andi more than words can express! We are amazed at how smart she is and a little saddened by how quickly she is growing. What a blessing you are, Andi. We LOVE you!

No comments: